Not even going to lie- I started this off by cribbing from a Gila monster, but then it took on a life of its own:
Like I was saying, at first it was just a vaguely aware lizard, then I changed the face a bit from my usual facial structure by putting the eyes closer to the end of the snout, and I made an effort to give it some texture, partially inspired by the very regular scaling on a Gila monster’s body as well as the need to make it a little more dragony. Halfway through that, I started thinking of the blue-backed Tholtuk from more than 2 years ago, and I needed to color it. The scan wasn’t as faithful to the original coloring as I would have liked, but it’ll do; it’s a bit late to be wrestling with calibration settings.
Despite the name of the post, I’m really immensely happy with this.